Re: What Windows apps stand in the way of switching to Linux at your shop?

Dan Kegel wrote:
On 10/7/05, Ken Cheney <ken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am using a software called Calyx Point.  Runs on .NET... so .NET would be
key.

Sorry, Wine is not going to run .NET any time soon.

Mono might, though.

As far as I've been able to determine, Mono is only usable as a C# runtime as long as the programme has been compiled to use it. Otherwise, the MS .NET is the only option.

One of the major reasons I haven't migrated my brother's system over to Linux is the lack of a Linux-usable (which means native or Wine) eBay offline auction posting tool.; Any on-line solution isn't workable, as he's on dial-up, can't get DSL, and the dial-up isn't much good either. The programme he uses, MrPoster, is .NET based, and the developers have experssed an extreme disinterest in even making a Macintosh port, let alone anything less than Linux-hostile. EBay themselves are completely useless in this area too.