Re: Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:56:27 +0200, Walt Ogburn <reuben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys,
Sorry if I started a contentious discussion.

Contentious discussions can be fruitful but I dont see much contention here. It seems that although Detfel is a great fan of making directory names out of what are basically verbose textual labels, no-one else seems too keen at all.

There are too many special characters in text labels (not least of which is the space char) and the probable length of any label description makes it very unsuitable for part of a pathname.

As for suggesting all applications must rewritten to benefit from this amazing new feature: rediculous waste of effort.

I agree with the other poster, I think it is not likely to have a very long life-span. (If it does wine might have to start detecting SuSE on startup!)

What does seems to be a more persistant problem is USB devices which can have different device names every time they are plugged in, unless some very specific udev rules are written by hand.

It seems that wine would have to plug into hotplug events to do anything about this. But wine is not supposed to be a OS with-in an OS it is a compatability library for running windows software, so it seems a line has to be drawn between program functionality and system functions.

8)

--
Using Opera e-mail on Gentoo Linux