Half-Life and Counter-Strike on WINE

FYI

Both work great on my FC3, wine-20050419, 2.4 GHz box. Key changes to the ./tools/wineinstall $HOME/.wine/config file are as follows:

"Managed" = "N"                  ; a significant change
"UseXVidMode" = "N"
"UseXRandR" = "N"            ; a significant change
"DXGrab" = "Y"
"Synchronous" = "Y"            ; without this mouse reacts VERY slowly

"dir1" = " "/hda1/WINNT/Fonts" ; yeah, I have an existing windoze dir for fonts

"windows" = "nt40"               ; under [AppDefaults\\sol.exe\\Version]

Command line:

c:\\SIERRA\\Half-Life\\hl.exe -console -windowed ; must use these switches

c:\\SIERRA\\Counter-Strike\\cstrike.exe -console -windowed -noipx

Note: Half-Life doc requires the CD in the first CD-drive, but runs on either of mine.

Tidbits: My box is a server with no open-gl GPU so all is software driven. Works good on small, 400x300 window, stutters on larger. A -w 1280 switch has been blogged elsewhere but has no effect for me, i.e., window size is selected in app. The -noipx switch tells cstrike not to pole for it, which is a time consuming step.

Be sure to properly link your CD drive in $HOME/dosdevices, e.g., mine is:
   ln -s /media/cdrom d:
   ln  -s /dev/hde d::
Both are required.  The double : is no typo.

Cstrike will complain about the sound being used by another app, so you won't have any sound.

The update links in the app blow-up. I haven't downloaded/installed any of the patches available.

Troubleshooting:
Use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and logon so you can issue "killall -9 wine-preloader" if things go wrong. Then use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to your GUI. If your screen is magnified so it is unusable, just hit "arrow-up" once and then "return" to relaunch the app then select quit/exit. It usually returns the screen to normal.

Have fun.