WIne keyboard focus issues..

Well I am trying to play a game under wine but I am having a problem with keyboard focus.The problem is that even when a wine window is not in focus it still seems to accept keyboard input.This is a problem because this particular game uses "ctrl" or "shift" to skip text,and using these keys outside the game results in several pages of skipped text within the game.I've tryed playing around with "UseTakeFocus" and "DXGrab" as well as "Desktop" and "Managed/Unmanged" video modes,but nothing seems to help.Interestingly this even seems to happen when I am under a seperate X server instance,so it doesn't seem to be a window manager issue.Also this message repeats continuosly on the console although I don't believe it is related(it has happened on other games) :
err:ddraw:d3ddevice_lock_update Wrong surface type for locking !
err:ddraw:d3ddevice_unlock_update Wrong surface type for locking !

I am using a recent cvs(about a week old).
Also if this is an issue that can't be easily fixed,would it be possible to force wine to not use the 'ctrl" and "shift" keys at all?

Thanks