Re: Re: Step-by-step guide for PowerPoint under wine?

Peter Wahl wrote:
My good ness,

now you must think I'm a complete newbie to the Web. I
thought this in the download link so I really
downloaded the link, instead of just clicking on it I
downloaded it.

Well, now I downloaded the wine-20041019, ran the
configure (takes a minute), then 'make .... && make'
which takes around 20 minutes, which returns after
endless number of lines: Wine Build complete.

Fine, great work from all involved.

But I think one more 'wine' step is missing (install
???), since:

rpm -i winetools-2.1.1-jo.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        wine is needed by winetools-2.1.1-jo
        xdialog is needed by winetools-2.1.1-jo

Prior to this, I installed 'Xdialog' with:
rpm -i
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/packages/Utilities/xdialog/Xdialog-2.1.1-2suse90.i686.rpm

Why is it that both packages are not found?

You could certainly type 'make install' (as root) in the Wine source directory, if you haven't, but that probably wouldn't solve your problem as it currently stands.

I would imagine that Wine is not found because it does not exist in your RPM database (because you have compiled it from source, rather than installing from an RPM). If Wine is not found, then it doesn't matter if Xdialog is in fact there, because the process likely won't look for it once the most important dependency (Wine itself) is missed. What distribution of Linux are you using?

The Wine download page on Sourceforge.net that you got the package from should have contained binary install packages for whichever distribution you use (they have packages for SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware, RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD).

If you are using SuSE 9.0 as your install of Xdialog indicates, you can find current Wine RPM packages for SuSe at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=79444 . Just make sure the file name contains 'suse90', like this:

wine-20050211-SuSELinux90.i586.rpm .

If you are using another distribution, then go to the Wine download page at http://www.winehq.com/site/download and follow the link for your distribution.

You will need to go to the source directory where you compiled Wine and type (as root) 'make uninstall' if you previously did do a 'make install' for the RPM version not to conflict with the compiled version; otherwise, just install the RPM.

You may also want to remove or rename your ~/.wine directory if you previously ran the source compiled version, so as to have a 'clean' install for WineTools.

Hope this helps,
Holly