Re: Debian SID versions messed ujp

David Baron schrieb:

Debian mirror -- well maybe not exactly: These are in my sources.list
deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ source/
which is what is as instructed on the winehq.org site.

First of all sorry for replying so late, I was trapped in a Warcraft III world and unable to get out for the last few days =)
So this looks exactly like what I said, you are trying to get the stuff from winehq while you've got the official stuff installed. I think the main problem and what is causing the irritation here is that the packages from winehq have the same name as the ones from the official debian mirrors although they differ in what is included with them. They should imho be called something like wine-snapshot and be installed to another location than the official debs (like /opt/ or /usr/local/ like the self-built ones) to be able to install the latest version alongside the one properly packaged according to debian policy.

Concerning the non-fake-windows root I can only add to what Joachim had to say that by using a native windows installation you'll run into problems that people doing it the 'right' way wont and additionally you're slowing down the process of making wine become a full and equivalent replacement for a native windows API because you're not giving your manpower as an alpha tester since you're not really using it for the most part.
Break out of the vicious circle, even if it means some struggle in the beginning, it will turn out to have been the right decision in the end.
As for music software I strongly agree with you that there are many things that just don't have an equally professional solution in Linux as they do in win32. I just think that the developers of non-free software like Sibelius, et. al. should realize that there is quite a market for audio/music related software and I hope that this situation will change with some beginner-level Linux distros (like SuSE or mandrake) becoming easier to handle for people who just want to get "the job done" without knowing all the intrinsics.
One particular field I really would love to see is having some kind of music character recognition like an application that can analyze a scanned image of sheet music and output it to .ly or something similar (I love lilypond =)).

Regards, Roman..