Re: [Wine]Re: Warcraft 3 - "no program start menu found"

FireWorm wrote:

Hi Edward,
Now I am trying a hard disk version war3, and I also can't run the
game. When I do "wine war3.exe", it asks for Warcraft III" cdkey; when I
do "wine Frozen\ Throne.exe", it gives me two black windows, in one of
them, there is a square and some chaos in that. If there are someone enjoy the game on Linux, please share. :)

FireWorm

Hi,
there lots of tips on the howto of Jesse Allen (and in the comments at the bottom):
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=1177

From my own experience:

For a NoCd patch, I use one from Amadeus. With this one, I got no problem to launch the game if you have give CD-Key during the installation process and no problem to go on Battle.net. ( If I remember well, I found it on gamecopyworld.com )

Also, I suggest you to put in your ~/.wine/config (if you don't have one, copy it from /usr/share/doc/wine-{version}/samples/ )
[x11drv]
; Create the desktop window with a double-buffered visual
; (useful to play OpenGL games)
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"
and
[dsound]
;; Forces emulation mode (using wave api)
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"

And to launch the game don't forget to use opengl
   wine war3.exe -opengl

and if your video card don't support hardware TnL (as Radeon 7000), use software TnL with:
wine war3.exe -opengl -swtnl