Re: [Wine]drives - semi newbie

David L. Smith wrote:
Okay, on the nth reading about drives at http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-drive-main
I see that I simply need to type P:\usr\mywine, or, in my case, P:\mnt\crate to access my FAT drive. But, ya know, it seems I cannot find where I am to type this.

I am confused. What are you trying to accomplish? In Wine in a file open dialog, P: will be selected in the dialog just as in Windows.

Now, in the ancient past, I have done this in an ancient wine version by putting it in a certain section in the configuration file, but is that what I am supposed to do now? I think I'm supposed to put it into the [Wine] section. Is this correct?

Read carefully section 5.5.4. If you look in your ~/.wine directory, you will find a subdirectory "dosdevices". Try:

ls -al ~/.wine/dosdevices

That shows the mapping of unix directories, including mounted Windows filesystems, to drive letters for Wine.

By the way, once you figure out what parts of the directions are confusing and what they should say to better help newbies, consider making those changes and submitting them back to the Wine project.

Since fstab lists my ntfs drives as read-only, will Wine honor that?

Wine would have no choice. The Linux kernel enforces that.

More questions about drives. I think the docs are saying that if I point to my NT window files on my NTFS drive, then Wine will use them. I take it that this means that it will use the unix file system to read 'em in without writing. Is this true?

True, but some applications might break if they are unable to write the filesystem being used. In general, I would try to discourage doing this.

btw, I found a remark about font resolution in my re-reading of
http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-file
Since some of the apps still have shaky fonts, I hope this is saying that changing the font resolution will fix the problem.

If you have not copied the TT fonts from your Windows system into the Wine C:/windows/Fonts directory, then do so. That is likely all you need to do to get nice looking fonts.