Re: [Wine]old Wine from CVS

Mark Knecht wrote:
OK, first I tried Crystall.dll, a synth I know works. I ran it under
20040505 stratight. It works. Then I ran it under GDB still on
20040505. The GUI never comes up. Don't know what that means. Here it
sits:

flash mark $ gdb jack_fst
GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) r vst_dir/Crystal/Crystal.dll Starting program: /usr/bin/jack_fst vst_dir/Crystal/Crystal.dll
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
[New Thread -1217877856 (LWP 22589)]
[New Thread -1226290256 (LWP 22592)]

Been there for 10 minutes. No CPU usage. It's just sitting. Ctrl-C won't break gdb. I have to just kill it.

I don't know what that would be. I haven't seen anything like that before. But then, I don't use gdb enough to be very good at interpreting things.

Question - Do you have Jack installed and running?

Yes. Otherwise, jack_fst complains and just exits.

I don't think the above comment is as evil as it might look. In the context of how Jack works it uses FIFOs in memory to transfer audio data from client to client...

Looking at the code in the function, at least the scribbling part is trivial code and is not the problem. I am not sure how to set a breakpoint in a library that is loaded by the program being debugged, so I am not sure how to narrow it down further.

On my system I can sit in gdb and I never get the gui for the VST. I don't even get it for notepad:

Well, I don't get anything when I try to run it with notepad either. I don't really know what that means.

In the case of jack_fst, it appears to crash visibly the same way, regardless whether under gdb or not. So it appears to be working for me, for whatever reason. For what it is worth, I compiled and installed jack from source.