Re: [Wine]Re: "Severe - Unable to create a directory under ..."

Mark Knecht wrote:
Trying again. Any ideas on this one?

Frist sent last Wednesday. No responses so far.
Thanks,
Mark

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:02:10 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
  I'm playing around with installation of a number of older, Win
98/Win ME era sound programs. One I'm working on right now comes up
with what, for me, is sort of a standard problem. I get a dialog box
with this message:

"Severe - Unable to create a directory under C:\PROG~FBU\GSampler.
Please check write access to this directory."

Normally the approach to this would be something like run the program something like:
WINEDEBUG=file wine program &> wine.log
That should hopefully give you clues on what call is breaking; grep for something like "GSampler" if the file is large. Likely it would be some function in the Wine source code in dlls/kernel/file.c or file16.c. If that did not help, more can usually be found with:
WINEDEBUG=file+relay wine program &> wine.log
Though that creates a much larger file.

Given a function name from a line in the wine.log file, you can always locate it in the source code by putting the function name in here:
http://source.winehq.org/ident

If you find something in the traces that looks interesting, post it with some preceding lines for context.