Re: [Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Mark Knecht wrote:
I have been doing some things this morning which lead me to believe I
don't know how to run multiple versions of Wine correctly. What I have
been doing is this:

(Please don't mix this with my other Wine questions about Quicken.
That's a different environment and not part of this audio work)

1) Set up two source code directories
wine-20040505
wine-20040914

2) configure and compile wine in each directory

3) Run make uninstall in the one I want to remove and make install in
the one I want to use

4) Now 'wine --version' shows the correct version number

Now, my question comes down to how do I handle the .wine directory?
Is the WINEPREFIX variable available in wine 20040505? If so, you can make as many wine environments as you like. If not, then use regular $HOME/.wine for 20040505 and other dirs for other versions. You can even spare yourself uninstall/installing if you'd configured-compiled one of the wines with --prefix=/special/path and adding this /special/path to the heads of PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper script.