Re: [Wine]Quicken 2004 Report windows

M-Halo wrote:
With current versions of Wine, registry creation is
a runtime task. That is, when Wine is run, it looks for a ~/.wine
directory. If none is found, it creates one and populates it with default
registry entries. If a ~/.wine is already there, is is left untouched.

Very interesting...  I used to have these concerns,
and then a few weeks ago, I saw them echoed on
Winehq.com .  See here:
http://www.winehq.com/?issue=242#Upgrade%20Management

Okay, I should not have said that "If a ~/.wine is already there, is is left untouched." An upgrade can add certain keys to the registry, but these are always Wine specific keys.

This is actually somewhat new to Wine (this year I think). Slowly but surely, everything that was once in ~/.wine/config is moving into the registry. In fact, by default Wine no longer creates a ~/.wine/config in a new installation, though you can create one manually and add entries to it. Eventually, and probably not too far into the future, the config file will no longer be used at all, and will probably even be ignored.

As for the registry entries inserted by an application, Wine does not mess with those when upgrading. It never has, and I think I can safely say never will.

I guess perhaps you are you referring to the statement "If you upgrade to this new version, please re-setup your whole wine configuration and merge over your data."? But that was only a suggestion, to avoid the inherent difficulty of making automatic update work flawlessly as the shift is made from the config file to the registry. But that is not the path Wine has chosen to go, and I doubt that Alexandre would go that route.

So in theory, in some cases, I suppose certain Wine specific things might break when upgrading Wine, though I consider this very unlikely. However that should only affect something that you had in your config file, which did not get merged into the registry. In general, these changes should be completely invisible to the typical user.

All of this is a very long winded way of saying don't bother reinstalling apps when upgrading Wine ;) Yes, things that worked before sometimes break when Wine is upgraded. But in the vast majority of cases, this is due to changes in the Wine code, not due to registry entries.