[Wine]config question

Hi ,I've gotta few probs getting wine to fuction properly on this machine.
running mandrake 10.0 Comunity Kernel 2.6.3-15mdk

1. The font is semi italic and difficult to read, screen res set to 1152x864.

I set up wine on a friends machine and the file manager looked exactly the same as if he was running windows.

Checking the version I get this >
[root@g8jvm /]# wine --version
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\windows\\system" is not accessible.
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/', starting in the Windows directory.
Wine 20040716

And if I try to start a prog , this >
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\windows\\system" is not accessible .
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/richard', starting in the Windows directory.
wine: cannot open (null)
[root@g8jvm richard]# su richard
[richard@g8jvm richard]$ wine Echolink
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\windows\\system" is not accessible .
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/richard', starting in the Windows directory.
wine: cannot open (null)

That occurs as root or user.
Could someone please point me in the right direction, remember you had to start somewhere.
The good thing I found on my friends machine was that wine seems to be the only emulator that can cope with VoIP props written for windows without screwing up the sampling clock .
NICE :)

TIA
Richard