Re: [Wine]Wine 2-D acceleration

The MCP wrote:
A few days ago I asked if wine applications normally run morbidly slow,
and was told definetly not. I got a suggestion that something is wrong
with my 2-D acceleration, but at that point the whole discussion forked
into WINE and games and whether or not it hurts linux...

"Definitely not" is incorrect. Most things run at normal/fast speeds, but some things do indeed run morbidly slow. It really is just application dependent. Back several years ago, when much lower level (drawing?) code was moved into the Wine server, one of my electronic design packages slowed down dramatically when trying to drag large objects. And this same thing might be affecting the games you are trying.

This is apparently due to the amount of time taken for server calls. At the time, Transgaming complained quite a bit about the severe hit some of their games took due to this. I would not be surprised if they backed out those changes, though I don't actually know whether they did. Have you tried WineX?

Since my application is still very slow, it is apparent that the inefficiencies are still there in the regular Wine (I rarely use the particular application anymore). Wine could really use someone with some serious programming skills to delve into performance bottlenecks. This is one of disadvantages of the very small team working on Wine, and in particular, the extremely small number of people working on Wine with that particular skill set.