Re: [Wine]Re: cannot run Wine

bea.gr wrote:

First of all..
thanks for all the replies , I'm not alone in the dark...
then ..
It seems that it's not a problem of permission on the directory fake-windows :
"chmod 700 /home/bea.gr/.wine/fake-windows" change absoluty nothing
and my wine config are correct (it seems to be)
The problem is in the symlinks in the directory .wine/dosdevices/
before the change I made, two symlinks were wrong and seems to go to nowhere (as I tried in the shell and kde):

lrwxrwxrwx    1 bea.gr   users          29 2004-06-19 07:33 c: -> ../
${HOME}/.wine/fake_windows

lrwxrwxrwx    1 bea.gr   users          10 2004-06-19 07:33 y: -> ../${HOME}

then I recreated the links :
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 2004-07-02 23:31 c: -> /home/
bea.gr/.wine/fake_windows/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 2004-07-02 23:34 y: -> /home/
bea.gr/

and it works now with no such that message anymore :
"Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible"....
I can launch "wine notepad" without problems
???? a reason for this ?

Bea.gr thanks a lot 8-)

Well, the only thing that's different is that instead of using the variable ${HOME}, you're now using the full path to the home directory.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that changing that fixed it, as in a year of using Wine, I have never known that variable to actually work properly. I thought it was just me.

Glad you got it fixed.

Holly

Hi,

I run WINE on Suse9.0 and it runs fine (I dont know wether Suse9.0 has utf-8
as default). As far as I know there are at least two wrong configurations
which cause a
"Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible"

First, your fake-windows drive ("c:") is not set up correctly or the
permissions on the fake-win directory are wrong. (By the way in newer WINE
versions there are symlinks in .wine/dosdevices not in the drive sections in the wine config file)

Second, the path two the windows system directory in wine config is wrong.

I never experienced any other problems accessing a fake-win directory. If you
post your drives section/dosdevices directory listing and the permissions on
your win drive, maybe I can help you.

cu,

Stefan