Re: Unix directories (was Re: Why isn't everyone compiling wine)

JLB wrote:

> Oh, horse-hokum. [snip]
It's not horse-hokum. Web sites tend to be small networks; in my experience single-figure counts of homogenous machines. The FHS is catering for large networks of heterogenous machines, dealing with system consistency, simplicity of installation and backup, reliability, recoverability etc.

The old Macintosh "System" had the best filesystem layout:
> [snip]

Which looks a lot like the Windows layout (substitute "WINDOWS" for "System Folder", "Program Files" for "Applications" and "My Documents" for "Desktop Folder" on English Windows and you're there) - and like the Windows layout, is an obvious layout designed for standalone desktop machines. On standalone machines this is perfectly sensible. On a network of hundreds of machines it can be a pita.

Anyway, all this is way off topic, and nothing is going to change anytime soon either way so we're wasting everyone's time :)

Kev.