Warcraft 3 Copy Protection (regression?)

I recently patched Warcraft 3 to 1.15, and decided I might as well try running it without a no-cd patch. To my surprise, it whirred for a bit and then detected the CD, which had never worked before. I don't know whether the difference was something about the version of WC3, or because I'd just upgraded to a 2.6 kernel, or because of the Wine version (20040309), but having upgraded Wine to 20040505 it no longer works. I've set up the devices symlinks and tried using both a new config file and the old one with the drives setting removed (as suggested by Wine's output), but I still have to use a crack again now. It's not the end of the world, but it did seem really cool for about 3 days:-(. Any idea why this would be? I don't really know what was changed recently with the alterations to the way drives are set up...
Anyway, thought it might be worth mentioning,
Aneurin Price.