copy and paste Chinese

I am using Wine to access Wenlin, a reader programme for Chinese that is essential to me in my studies (the only Windows programme that I cannot live without). It works very well in Wine, however when I copy from a X application (which I frequently want to do, to look up a word on a webpage etc), it gets copied in a weird format, it just gives me lots of question marks (once I got it to give me \X0443 etc, don't remember how). Is there a setting in Wine somewhere that enables this? (Copying Chinese text from one X programme to another works perfectly, and copying Chinese text from a Windows programme to Wenlin works as well.

Any help much appreciated.

Stian Haklev
Hangzhou