Re: Font question

David Baron wrote:

And thar's the rub!

Which one? Give us some context, please.

The newer office applications have at long last gone over to Unicode. Dagesh, the first and for clearness and ease of use, still the better of the multilingual WPs never made that step because the parent company died of fear of big-bill-gates :-(. I worked on the filters.

How does the Unicode problem enter into Dagesh not working on Wine? Wine has a non-Unicode API as well, and that supports Hebrew (assuming your LC_CTYPE, or LANG, or whatever is set correctly, of course).

Besides the above, as far as I know, Dagesh does not even require Hebrew support from the underlying OS at all, so it should work even if Wine is compiled without BiDi.

Used to be, one exported to RTF and this came into most Word versions perfectly. No more--the Dagesh RTF filters were good--I wrote them. But Microsoft more or less says: Its our language and you'll use it our way. It was a never ending chase of one's tail to keep up with their nonsense. Dagesh RTF will no longer go into word or open office or any of them. For the same reason as the non-latin fonts will not work through wine. The newer apps are Unicode.

As far as I know, RTF does not store it's stuff in Unicode. Even if it does, it's a pretty simple conversion.

If the winemakers can come up with an interface to solve this problem, please do it so that it can be used/packaged under Windows as a simple filter as well. Will make a lot of folks happy! For now, HTML export is the only bridge to Word et al.

I think you misunderstand Wine's role in this picture. Wine is not a tool to allow Dagesh to exchange things with Word. Wine is a tool to run the same ol Dagesh on Linux (and other non-Windows systems).

Dagesh is being maintained by Galtech--contact Gadi Doron at gadid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx about evaluations copies for such purposes.

Thank you. I will. As a general note - next time don't advertise other people's email addresses on public lists without their knowledge.

I have not heard about open-sourcing but as one of the developers, I'd go for it--and I am most probably available (more particulars under private cover).

I was not too intimately involved with that. As far as I remeber, it fell even before it was discussed.

On second reflection - it may not even have been Dagesh after all.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting