wine programs

Hi all

I am fairly new to wine, so if any more information is required, please let me know.
I am having trouble with using programs under wine, notepad can't save, when I change settings in applications, they do not stay, if I reopen the app after making the adjustment, then open the app again and close the original, while the app is reopening, the settings stay, but when I reopen the app form scratch, I lose my settings again. Does this sound like a permissions problem, or have I got a config problem. ?
I recieved no replies to my last email (font metrics) could the problems be related ?
I am running wine on FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE on a P2 with 256 RAM 202 gig HDD
All help appreciated no idea where to start :)
Andy