Can I run LotusScript "shell" command under wine ?

Our Lotus Notes R5 users are running Notes client under wine in SuSe Linux.
I would like to trigger a Linux process from the Lotus Notes button using :

If Dir$(batchFile) <> "" Then
      taskId% = Shell(batchFile)
Else
      Print batchFile & " not found.  Please notify support personnel."
End If

where       batch file is a simple notepad call : wine notepad.exe

When I run it - I get "Illegal function call"
It finds the file, but Shell is not working ...
Any idea why ?

Thanks.

Boris Kirshteyn
K-B Toys, Software Architect