Re: MSN via wine ( was Wine and XP )

Adam Ingerman wrote:

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 00:51, Magnus Solvang wrote:

I have Wine working, and my Windows XP-installation mounted
as read only. Reading the FAQ, I noticed: "DON'T configure Wine
to use an NT-based Windows install (NT, Win2K, WinXP)."
So... is it futile to try to get XP-applications running on my
Linux-box? Should I install them from Wine, and if so, how?
"wine SETUP.EXE"?

I'm mostly interested in running Instant Messanger (MSN) 6.0 from
wine at the moment. Has anyone here managed to do this? What would
I need to do?

- M

download and install aMSN. it looks almost the same as MSN 6, has a slightly different set of features, and doesn't require going through wine (it's tcl/tk, so it can run *nix native), which is a fair bit of a performance gain (at least on my old system)

http://amsn.sourceforge.net IIRC

Also, you might want to try Gaim. It supports more then one chat client which is very nice. (it should be gaim.sourceforge.net)