Troubleshooting missing text

I have an issue with a game that runs fine apart from the fact that some
specific text isn't rendered at all.

Thought it might be a case of a missing font, given that the game seems
to render text correctly in most circumstances, and to that end have
tried to run WINE using WINEDEBUG=+font and looking through the
generated trace messages. However, I couldn't find anything suspicious
in there. The `err' or `warn' directives didn't yield any useful
information either.

I've got MS' corefonts installed and also Tahoma.

My question to the list, then, is perhaps the approach highlighted above
is incorrect or incomplete and, if so, how can I troubleshoot this issue
I'm having regarding missing text?