Software Licensing Problem

I have installed the game Rail Baron using WineBottler running on OS X 10.9.2. The program runs fine until I attempt to license it.

When registering that program gives me a code that I have to send to the developer who in turn supplies a registration key. I enter the key and the software says that it is successfully registered but when I start the program up it starts up again as if it is not registered.

According to the developer a successfully registered version should have created a <something>.LIC file in the same directory as the program executable (in this case ~/Applications/rbp.app/Contents/Resources/wineprefix/drive_c/winebottler/) but the file is not created.

I thought, at first, that it was a permissions issue, but I looked and the winebottler directory has permissions rwxrwxrwx@ which seems right to me.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am told that others have gotten the program to work properly, but I have not been given any names to contact.

Thanks,

Chuck