Getting debugging symbols into the backtrace

I'm using the official wine ubuntu repository and have wine1.5 and
wine1.5-dbg installed.  Yet when my wine application crashes, the
backtrace does not have the debugging symbols.  Perhaps significant is
that an error message box pops up saying "internal errors - invalid
parameters received".

Looking at the installed files from the wine1.5-dbg package, it seems
strange.  It installs files like: /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/<2-digit
hex>/<some kind of hash>.debug.  These are all elf binaries and appear
to have some debug sections in them.

So how do I use these debug files?  I've done a lot of googling and
looked at many forums and wiki pages, but I've yet to see an answer to
this problem.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks