Re: installing a windows app

On 04/18/2013 08:13 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:
I am trying to install Visual Foxpro 3.0 from a CD. I understand that I cannot run it from the c: drive when the windows programs are. Problem is that I cannot run setup.exe because it is not set as executable, and I cannot set the executable bit because the program is on a cdrom.

By the way, I am trying 3.0 instead of the 5.0 and up versions because I don't think linux was arround then vfp3 was, so ms propably didn't do anything to keep it from working. In cause anyone need to know, I am funning ubuntu 12.10 and the latest wine version (1.58?)

Help?

Maybe this will work:
Copy the exe file and the program it sets up, both, to the /Wine/c-drive directory. (Don't know if I have that exactly right.) Before you do that, make sure there are not already some setup files in that directory, and if there are, delete them. Then run the setup.exe from the Wine c-drive. There should not be any permissions problems then, but if there are, look at the files by the command line: ls -la file.exe, and if it is not executable, do a chmod +x file.exe I don't know why a Windows file should have a permissions bit set, but that should fix it.
Hope that helps--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.  A.M. Greeley