Re: Running a DOS program in Wine

On 06/09/2012 01:16 AM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
I'm trying to run the Q&A database in Wine.  I change to the QA
directory in terminal, type "Wine qa.com", and get this error:

err:dosmem:DOSMEM_MapDosLayout Need full access to the first megabyte
for DOS mode

I know this is some sort of DOS-type error.  Any idea how to get past
it?  Thanks.

I'm far from an expert, but if your Q&A db is truly a DOS program, not
a Windows program, it needs to run in DOSBox. WINE is for Windows
programs, of any vintage, but not DOS.  I have both kinds of programs
on my PCLOS machine here, and they both work pretty much as
expected, altho not perfectly--I lost my full-screen Pinball (WINE) and
I don't know how to fix it--it used to work right. But other WINE routines
work OK, and DOS programs in DOSBox work OK also. You can even
have your old text-only BASIC, Turbo Pascal, Eureka, NODES, and so
on in DOSBox. (NODES even produces some simple graphics.)

If your Q&A is really a Windows program, you may have to tell
WINE which kind of Windows it is--WINE can be set to mimic Win 95,
for instance, if you need it to.  Or so I'm told.

--doug