Re: Trying to install vmware view agent 4.5 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Oswal wrote:
> Step 1: Im log in with a normal user and use sudo.
> Step 2: apt-get install wine1.4.
> When i say aptitude search wine1.4 the system answer
> c    wine1.4
> pB  wine1.4-common
> p    wine1.4-dbg
> p    wine1.4-dev
> c     wine1.4-i386
> Is necesary install some of this packets?

Yes. Install  all except wine1.4-dev.

> Step 3: copy a file "vmware-viewagent-4.5.0-293049.exe"
> Step 4: In a directory where the file was copied, launch the command (wine vmware-viewagent-4.5.0-293049.exe)

Did you do those two steps as sudo? You shouldn't. Also make sure your normal user has read/write/execute permissions for the file and the directory you copy it to.

> If i try to install wine with a normal user, the system say

I didn't say to INSTALL Wine as a normal user, I said to RUN Wine as a normal user. Step 2 needs to be done with sudo; everything else needs to be done as a normal user.

> Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock -open (13: Permissiondenied)
> Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

As I said, that message is about your package manager, and "wine vmware-viewagent-4.5.0-293049.exe" should not invoke your package manager. You need to ask your distro about this; something is messed up on your system.