Re: Building a shared WoW64 setup from source

Thank you for your suggestion, dimesio.  The instructions at http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64 seem to suggest that building a shared WoW64 installation is an alternative to building separate 32- and 64-bit trees rather than an option after you have build separate 32- and 64-bit trees.  Hence my confusion.

For the benefit of Ubuntu 10.04 users, I'll describe in full detail what I did in case it was somehow correct.  On a x86_64 Ubuntu 10.04 machine, I installed gcc version 4.6 with the commands:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.6
sudo apt-get install g++-4.6
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 20
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.6 20
sudo update-alternatives --config gcc
sudo update-alternatives --config g++
upgrade

I then installed wine version 1.5.5 with the commands:

Code:
cd /usr/local
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-1.5.5.tar.bz2
bunzip wine-1.5.5.tar.bz2
tar -xvf wine-1.5.5.tar
cd /usr/local/wine-1.5.5
./configure --enable-win64
make
/bin/cp -r $HOME/.wine $HOME/.wine_2012_05_30
/bin/rm -r $HOME/.wine
sudo apt-get remove wine wine1.3 wine1.3-gecko lib32nss-mdns winetricks winbind ttf-symbol-replacement-wine1.3
make install
mkdir $HOME/.wine32
mkdir $HOME/.wine64
wineserver -k
winecfg

The configure command produced a number of warnings, the winecfg command crashed with some sort of error about Wine Gecko, but I was able to use wine to run both 32-bit and 64-bit exe files with the command "wine program.exe" (through with some warnings about integer data types).  The $HOME/.wine64 and $HOME/.wine32 directories were useless, but I thought I should create them for the shared WoW64 setup.  Starting wine created a new $HOME/.wine directory.

I don't know if I've successfully built a shared WoW64 setup; the instructions at http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64 don't make sense to me: the installation of 64-bit wine described above did not produce a wine-git directory with a configure file in my home directory or anywhere else as far as I can see.  So the instruction to run "../wine-git/configure --enable-win64 CC=/usr/local/gcc/bin/gcc" from the directory $HOME/wine64 is obviously not going to work without doing something or other that the page http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64 never describes (nor the README file in /usr/local/wine-1.5.5).

 At this point I am not sure if I have built a shared WoW64 installation, but I have built something, and I would be pleased to know if improvements are possible in setting up what I want.