Half-life 2 with steam freezes at intro screen (stable/dev)

I tried with Wine 1.4 and Wine 1.5.4.

I now am back to Wine 1.4 because it's the stable version and this game should be working for a long time since it's old. I have winetricks (version 0.0+20120512+svn814-1 from the Debian repositories - I compiled Wine itself from the upstream source here into a deb file) installed. I'm not entirely certain I did everything correctly so please don't omit simple questions if you think they apply.

It freezes at the intro screen and I do not mean the login menu but rather the valve thing that says "powered by source" after the part with the black guy that has a valve on the back of his head.

I'm using Debian amd64 testing/wheezy. Xonotic and 0ad work perfectly (proprietary Nvidia driver for the GTS 450 in use) so I don't think the graphics driver is the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!