Civ 3 crashes

I'm playing Civ 3 (the 1.29f patched version) on Xubuntu 12.04 with the most recent version of Wine and everything is absolutely fine. Game plays great, moves quickly, not a problem at all.

Until, that is, I get to the second new era screen (around the Nationalism advance). Then I get a crash with the code invalid parameters (nothing else). It didn't crash during the first new era screen (around Feudalism). Any thoughts on how to fix this? Or what causes it?