Compiler Help??

Am fairly new to this and totally new to Wine and can use some help getting wine to setup.
I am running Mandrake Linux 8.2 on the small half of a 60 Gig harddrive of a dual boot machine ..
AMD Duron 650 Mhz w/ 500 meg ram
When I run ./tools/wine-install I get the following

Configure: creating cache config. cache
checking build system type --- i686-pc-linux -gnu
checking host system type --- i686-pc-linux -gnu
checking whether make stes $(Make) ... yes
checking for gcc .... gcc
checking for c compiler default output ---- configure: error: c compiler cannot create executable,
see config log for details
configure failed aborting install

I am guessing there is no C compiler in my distro .
I kneed to know if I must install a compiler.... where I might get one ... and where should it be installed
Also is the edition of wine I have downloaded an appropriate version for my Linux.

Many advanced thanks
Ray