Re: Steam Doesn't work

palswim wrote:

> I also tried "winetricks corefonts" as another forum had suggested (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-862591-start-0.html), but that didn't solve the problem either.

Hi palswim

I would check out that thread in a bit more depth - it looks quite useful.
(1) Do you have 32-bit proprietary drivers installed? I presume you are using a x86_64 version of OpenSUSE (you haven't said). This is needed unless you have the -OpenGL flag I believe. But you won't be running many games, via WINE, without it anyway!
(2) As Chiitoo in that thread pointed out you can type:

Code:
winetricks steam

to automagically download the latest Steam client and apply fixes to better support it in WINE.

Option (2) might seem lazy - but winetricks is only a BASH script. So you can open it up in a text editor and search for steam and see what settings the script will apply!! It does setup the Steam WINEPREFIX in a funny place (something like ~./local/.../steam/) - but you can just move it somewhere else if you want  8)...

This solution is also far more preferable to all these people saying "just install PlayOnLinux" - so you get no support from WINE devs and the details of what "fixes"/WINE patches, that are applied, will be obscured from you...

I don't think the GCC 4.6 bug stops Steam launching. But I am not sure what compiler the Ubuntu PPA is compiled with just now (that appears to work OK anyway)... However I roll with a Git version of WINE compile with GCC 4.5.

Might be better to play it safe and disable the gameoverlayrender.dll (winetricks does this automagically when installing Steam).

Good luck...
Bob