Re: Couldn't find a decent font

Mark Knecht wrote:

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 17:28, Tony Lambregts wrote:

The second is that the debugger is not finding a font (that it likes) to use. I've had that problem too (darned if i know what the fix really is though) I thought it was just me... If you want to use the debugger then you need to get this fixed. I have a few ideas...

wcmd (wine's dos shell) is another winecosole program that seems to be less picky. So using it to test your fonts is what I would sugggest. First run "wcmd". When wcmd is up and running right click anywhere on the screen. this will/should bring up a menu with one of the options being "set defaults". If you click on the option it will bring up a screen with 3 tabs. Click on the font tab. There should be at least one font that wcmd likes. Once you have wcmd set up the way you like. you can try running "winedbg" by itself.

http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-users/2002/08/0163.html

Tony,
In one of the few threads I could Google out of the Internet you
mentioned to someone else about setting the desktop to 640x480. Doing
that on my machine allowed a window to pop up and then disappear
immediately with the same error message.

I looked at my installation using Synaptic and it appears to have
pretty standard stuff installed, including True Type fonts. I have
removed a couple of editors, like Abiword, which I don't use at all, so
it is possible that some fonts got removed. If the Wine web site has
info specifically about fonts I haven't found it yet.

Mark

Well as much as I would like to I do not have the answer to this. Fonts are definately not my stong suit. I (might have) got around this by doing a "make clean" before a wineinstall. this may work for you. for me this is pretty drastic as it takes about 3 hours to rebuild wine after a make clean (my machine is pretty ancient thought-- 96mb ram 300mhz PII) if you have a faster machine it should be considerably shorter.

My setup has always been able to make do with a minimum of fonts (less to load) if you have "clean" it *should* work. I run with RedHat 7.2
--

Tony Lambregts