Re: Apps under wine

Russell wrote:
Hi all,

I've got notepad.exe to work under wine (i think it's built in).
I'm trying to get wordpad.exe to work now. It's currently in
~/driveC/Program Files/Accessories.

Wine says it can't find wordpad.exe. Do i need to add an explicit
path for it in wine config, or should the windows registry supply
the path?
The registry does not supply the path. There is a "Path" environment variable in ~/.wine/config, but I think the best thing to do is to use an explicit path when invoking the program. There are a number of ways to do that. You can create aliases for commonly used programs, or create short executable scripts somewhere like /usr/local/bin. Or create icons which execute the program.

For less commonly executed programs, I find that it is easiest to take advantage of shell autocompletion. I just type "wine /c/P" then hit tab to complete out to /c/Program\ Files/, etc.

Is it any use copying the original windows registry to wine?
Only if you are copying over programs you installed within Windows. If you install programs within Wine, the registry entries should be made correctly by Wine.

I've copied all of C:/windows and C:/program files
from a windows pc to wine. Is that the right thing to do?
I personally think it is better to create a Wine C:/ directory from scratch, copy over just the DLLs and fonts, and reinstall the programs you want. That way I don't need to worry about whether I correctly copied over all the files that an app used.

In my artificial drive C:, does the case of the file and
directory names matter?
In general no, but it can cause some odd things like having two copies of the same filename in the same directory, with the only difference being differences in names case. However everything will continue to work fine.