Font alias trouble?

Sorry - I'm a newbie, so please be patient.

I'm trying to use wine to run an application, and it seems to be working OK, except......there seems to be a problem with the Courier New font.

When I look at xfontsel, it shows both courier new and courier. But when I try to look at something as Courier New in wine, it only shows numbers and a few punctuation bits.

When I change the font to Courier in the Wine'd app, I can see things properly. So, I'm thinking that I should try to substitute this with courier font.

I've tried editing the .wine/config file and adding in
"Alias0" = "-courier new-,-courier-,subst"
(and a few permutations along the way - with and without the subst, more dashes etc) but it's not working.

I'm not sure that this is the right format ?? I've searched through the wine site, here and googled, but can't find anything. Can anyone help?

PS - RedHat 7.2 and wine rpm is 20010822-1

TIA