Re: nothing seems to work

Let's keep this on the list.

Vodka wrote:
You are likely to have problems trying to use a bunch of WinXP DLLs and
stuff. Hmm... like those you mention ;) Much better to use a fake
windows file system. That has the added advantage that Wine won't mess
up your real Windows partition. You can copy over things like fonts from
 WinXP, but you probably should try to use as many builtin DLLs as
possible, though msvcrt from WinXP would probably be ok to use.

Yes, I realized that just now.  I copied all of my windows partition to my
linux partition so I wouldnt have to mount it anymore.  It's mounted NTFS
and its read only, so that's why wine was giving me errors probably.  I
copied over all of my windows stuff to my linux parition and changed my
config file.  The error message doesnt come up anymore (about the unknown
inode), but most applications still dont seem to work.  Maybe im having
high expectations.  So far I was able to install AIM and run it as well;
all in wine.  That was pretty impressive.  However, Internet Explorer
didn't work.  On winehq.com there is a screenshot of IE working...how can
I get IE to work?
It would be better to not copy over the Windows partition, though I realize that requires you to reinstall everything. But since you already have it, I guess go ahead and use it for now.

You don't mention which version of IE. They differ quite a bit, and have varying levels of success in wine. For a good general description of how to get programs like IE to run in Wine, see Frank's Corner:
http://www.frankscorner.org/wine/

With IE6, I had to use several real Windows DLLs, and am using Win98 DLLs rather than WinXP versions. If you are using IE6, you can try this entry in your ~/.wine/config file. By the way, Sylvain figured these out.

[AppDefaults\\iexplore.exe\\DllOverrides]
"comctl32" = "native" # for favorites
"commctrl" = "native"
"crypt32" = "native" # call to uninmplemented
"msvcrt20" = "native"
"msvcrt" = "native"
"oleaut32" = "native"# |
"ole32" = "native" # |not necessary in order to run
"olepro32" = "native"# |
"rpcrt4" = "native" # |
"shdocvw" = "native" # .101 PathRemoveBackslashW calls to undocumented
# in shlwapi and force IE to abort.
# "shell" = "native" # }
# "shell32" = "native" # }
"shlwapi" = "native" # }} unimplemented funcs
"urlmon" = "native" # }
"wininet" = "native" # }