Re: Query, possible quick fix??

At 12:01 PM 9/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 1
>Subject: Re: Query
>From: Greg Bledsoe <gbledsoe@knology.net>
>To: Sylvain Petreolle <spetreolle@yahoo.fr>
>Cc: wine-users@winehq.com
>Date: 27 Sep 2002 21:23:12 -0400
>
>See responses inline.
>
>On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 21:45, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> > Post the error messages on the list.
>That's just it.  There is no error message.  It *just hangs.*  Word and
>Powerpoint, BTW, work.
>
>I got a copy of codeweavers office thinking it might work better.
>Nope.  Does the same thing at the same point.
>
>More specifically, after the excel splash screen, the initial excel
>screen is drawn behind it with no document open.  At this point the
>excel window loses focus and no longer responds.  There is no error, no
>information as to what might be happening.  I will send whatever
>debugging info is required, but I'm not getting any from wine at this
>point, at least none that I know how to access.
>

> > > I'm running the 20020904 version, and have mutilated my wine config
> > > nearly beyond repair in an attempt to get excel to run.  I've tried
> > This is not necessary.
> > You can easily override the global configuration for a particular
> > application. See documentation/samples/config.
>
>True.  I tried it both ways in case the application specific overrides
>somehow weren't working.  Now I wish I'd backed up the config file
>before I started.  D'oh!  Stupid Mistakes not to Make 101.
>

> > > I've run it with -debugmsgs +modules and don't get any error
> > > messages,
> > > it just hangs irrevocably.
> > Give more info. "this hangs" isn't sufficient.
>
>It is, nonetheless, all I got.  If you can inform me how to get more
>info to send, I will do so, as I *really really really* need to get
>excel working.
>
>Thank you so much for your time
>
>Greg Bledsoe
>

>--__--__--

Be assured I mean absolutely no offense in any way. But, if this is more
than the fun of the chase, is there a reason it is not possible to use
OpenOffice?  I am not sure, but believe it will run Excel 97 stuff. I think
that was what I ran for my son this summer, with OpenOffice for linux.  You
can look it up, if this is a choice.

http://www.openoffice.org/ should lead you to download sources, available
for both Win and linux. I think I bought the CD's from Edmund's Discount
CD's, it includes Java and OO for both OS versions, for 99 cents plus about
$1.50 shipping, I ordered 3, and at that price, you pay the same for
shipping for each CD.  I think it's
http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/cart.php  though you might have to
start at the home page.    I do not know if www.cheapbytes.com has Open
Office with all the same stuff on it, or not, but they charge a little more.

http://www.ooodocs.org/modules.php?name=Forums is a support
forum.  http://www.ooodocs.org/ of course is home page.

I cannot say OO is a perfect replacement, though it did most of the tech
stuff. The Win version did not print the lines that run vertically or
horizontally, which makes for a sorry spreadsheet, but I did not take time
to see if there was a way to configure it to do that.

Apologies if OO does not run the 97 version. I did not mention it when I
first saw your posting, because it seems like a lot of folks on wine-users
are as interested in making something work for the challenge of it, as
anything else. But, your comment about "really really really" changed my mind.

In June 2001, I installed Drake 8.0 in a computer in the government office
here in DF where my nephew is boss.  They used Star Office 5.2 at that
time, and total linux users are 2, including a former UNIX user (does he
ever love linux, has it on his home computer as well, when I installed it,
he said he knew nothing about linux, but he had used UNIX; I told him he
was a linux expert) and my nephew's "main squeeze" who works for him. In
August, I found a download source for Open Office in Spanish,  and now he
has two (2) users of Open Office, the same two brave souls.

Bruce McGovern writing from Mexico City