WINEPREFIX

I'm trying to run different win32 apps with different configs.
i was looking  thru the man page and found the WINEPREFIX.
i added export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.icad to my script that i use to
launch my application.  It seems to find it, but now i'm getting:
 $ icad
wineserver: mkdir /.wine.icad/wineserver-atlanta.ga : No such file or
directory

ok, i obviously did not understand something.

how do i get wine to look in a different directory for it's config and
other information.

Thanks
phrostie