Re: Wine, the GPL, and Lindows

<PColbourn@argus.net.au> wrote...
> I am not positive, but I believe the debian distro has tight rules in this
> regard, an it is possible to only use 'free' software.
>
> Phil

AFAIK the core Debian system is "free" (GPL, BSD etc), but there
is a section named "non-free" for add-on programs that don't fill
the (Debian) criterias for free software.
Debian doesn't depend on such "non-free" software, it's only included
in the distro as a service to Debian users that wan't to use such
software without the need to compile it themselves.
(And yes, there are tight rules for what can go into the main Debian
distribution, what has to be in the "non-free" section and also what
can't be in the distribution at all.)

Tomas