IAVCEI/IACS Volcano-Ice Interactions Commission online seminar June 2024

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Linda Sobolewski <linda.sobolewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

Please join us for our next seminar with our two speakers, *Maximillian Van
Wyk de Vries*, University of Cambridge, UK and *Daniel Andrade*, Instituto
Geofísico - Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador. Registration via the
link below is required in order to receive the Zoom meeting invitation
and/or access the recording, which will become available after the meeting.

IAVCEI/IACS VIIC Seminar: â??Understanding glacierized volcano multihazard
through remote ice thickness mappingâ?? by Maximillian Van Wyk de Vries and
â??Hazards from volcano-ice interactions at Cotopaxi volcano, Ecuadorâ?? by
Daniel Andrade

When: *Wednesday, 19th June 2024, 5 PM CEST*

Understanding glacierized volcano multihazard through remote ice thickness
mapping by Maximillian Van Wyk de Vries:

Glacierized volcanoes are some of the most hazardous areas of our planet,
but commonly lack fundamental datasets required to evaluate their hazard.
Here, we explore a new workflow used to produce maps of volcanic ice cap
thickness using free and globally available satellite imagery, and how this
can be used to inform hazard mapping. We close with a key question in these
environments: will deglaciation make these volcanoes *more* or *less*
 hazardous?

Hazards from volcano-ice interactions at Cotopaxi volcano, Ecuador by
Daniel Andrade:

This talk will be about Cotopaxi volcano, focusing on two examples of
volcano-ice interactions. The first one is related to the formation of huge
primary lahars during explosive eruptions and how this produces a risk
management and reduction challenge to Ecuadorian society. The second
example is about erosion processes observed in the volcano by the
interaction of rain and ice.

Register here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom-x.de/meeting/register/u50ocuqvpjstE9bCgSCm41flFvqVFgrfgdTe__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!byG_TZKxOFfXOEi4eG7XtOvY41GFnM_4VcZ24XxJOPWSa5hrHgg2PHJxmYqSg-7fpDmihRXY9eE1QaKy6LKnomKuwg$>
in
advance for this meeting.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

All the best,

Iestyn, Linda and Tryggvi

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2