In Memoriam: Jacques Touret - 1936 - 2024

From: Daniel Harlov <dharlov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello all,

I am very sorry to inform you all that Jacques Touret passed away in Paris
on March 11 at the age of 88 after a very long battle with cancer.
According to his wife Lydie, the funeral is scheduled for March 25 in
Paris.

Jacques was both a colleague and a good friend with whom I shared a common
interest regarding the role of fluid-rock interaction during high-grade
metamorphism.  I was first introduced to him when I worked on the
charnockites of the Bamble Sector, which is located along the Skagerrak
Coast of SE Norway.  Jacques had made his mark here as an early pioneer in
the study of fluid inclusions in high-grade rocks for which he was well
known.

Jacques and I also shared a common fondness for â?? Ã? la recherche du temps
perdu (In search of lost time) â?? by Marcel Proust and for long walks in the
Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris.  Père Lachaise is located very close to
Jacques' apartment in Paris, and he could see it from his bedroom window.
In good weather, when he was in Paris, Jacques would often take his
exercise there, sometimes visiting Marcelâ??s grave - which I have also
visited on a number of occasions.  My great regret is that Jacques and I
never did it together nor walked in Père Lachaise together - although we
had always planned to do so.

He once told me that Proust was a great comfort to him, which he often read
on long journeys, such as the time he took the Trans-Siberian Railway from
Moscow to Vladivostok in Siberia. This was evident in one of his last
emails to me where he made the comment - â?? My physical state is rapidly
deteriorating, I fear to be very close to find the lost time of old dear
Marcel.â??  I also attach an email sent to me by Jacques in November of 2022
after a visit to Proustâ??s grave in Père Lachaise (see below).

In 2014 I edited a special volume of Geoscience Frontiers in honor of
Jacques.  Attached is the Editorial for the volume, which gives a brief
biography of his life and career.

Farewell my dear Jacques. May you find the lost time that we all search for
and may you do it in the company of our old friend Marcel.  I am sure that
the two of you will make good traveling companions.  Ave atque vale.

Dan

Geoscience Frontiers special volume and editorial:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/geoscience-frontiers/vol/5/issue/5

Nov. 2022 message from Jacques:

Hi Dan,

At the occasion of « la Toussaint »(Nov 1, the time when French people use
to visit the tomb of their ancestor), I made my usual visit to Père
Lachaise.No madeleine this time on the tomb of our dear Marcel (I suppose
that the guards of the Père Lachaise take them away), but nicely arranged
chestnuts from neighboring trees. And a lot of visitors, with some official
guide, who told that the tomb was in « black marble » (a very usual
mistake, these guys are completely ignorant of the nature of the rocks). I
could not resist to the pleasure of correcting for the audience, the rocks
is a gabbro from Sweden, often (incorrectly ) referred to as « granite noir

    Best, Jacques

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - http://pdx.edu/

GVP - https://volcano.si.edu/

IAVCEI - https://www.iavceivolcano.org/

To subscribe to the volcano list, send the message:

subscribe volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 25 Mar 2024 to 26 Mar 2024 (#2024-28)