IAVCEI/IACS Volcano-Ice Interactions Commission online seminar-April 2024

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Linda Sobolewski <linda.sobolewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

We are restarting the VIIC online seminar series, and our first seminar
this year will be given by Eva Eibl from the University of Potsdam.

When: Thursday, 4th April 2024, 5 PM CEST

Title: â??Triggering, migration, and consequences of jökulhlaups in
geothermally active regions from a seismological perspectiveâ??

Abstract: â??Jökulhlaups from Vatnajökull, Iceland, can be triggered by
volcanic eruptions or geothermal activity in the ground. Within this
talk I will focus on geothermally triggered floods from the Skaftá
cauldrons. Following a slow start, the drainage quickly speeds up, water
drains beneath the ice layer until the subaerial glacial river is
reached and flooded. These processes can be â??heardâ?? seismically. While
the subglacial propagation can be tracked and used for early warning,
the strength of the signal can also be linked to the size of the
impending flood. However, we also detected icequakes at the onset of the
drainage that likely reveal how the ice shelf above the lake collapsed.
Finally, the flood generates signals once the water becomes turbulent
near rapids.â??

The talk will be held on Zoom, with an opportunity for discussion
afterwards. A recording will be available for those who cannot attend
the live event, but registration will still be required. To attend, or
to receive the link to the recording, please register here:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5MsduivpzgjHN1Ir024dRJvfb_yw90lHOkk*/registration__;Iw!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Y7tkWN5lENSdYUqdYq3ZYHPkvI2pQ4PLP6jnoat4HUV9DtARoW4OX_XHMqRupiRvDHXIv9Fr3Fh9HIldSItc_Rs0Lw$

After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with
information on how to join the meeting.

Other VIIC news:

New leadership of the VIIC - Iestyn Barr, Linda Sobolewski and Tryggvi
Unnsteinsson have just taken over as the new leaders to represent IAVCEI
in the joint IAVCEI/IACS Volcano-Ice Interactions Commission. Our
backgrounds cover a diverse range of topics related to volcano-ice
interactions, including work on subglacial volcanic caves, and using
glaciers as indicators of volcanic activity. As new co-leaders of the
Volcano-Ice Interactions Commission we have the goal to: (i) promote and
highlight the importance of glaciovolcanic research; (ii) enthuse a new
generation of researchers in this field; and (iii) make the importance
of glaciovolcanism known to the wider scientific community and public.

If you are curious about this amazing topic and want to become a member
of the VIIC, feel free to contact us or visit our website for more
information:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://viic.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Y7tkWN5lENSdYUqdYq3ZYHPkvI2pQ4PLP6jnoat4HUV9DtARoW4OX_XHMqRupiRvDHXIv9Fr3Fh9HIldSItMjh1d1Q$

We would also like to hear from you if you would like to speak at a
future seminar, and we particularly encourage Early Career Researchers
to get in touch!

Future plans include an online workshop (autumn 2024),
glaciovolcanic-themed field trips (expected in 2025), the organization
of conference sessions, and a lot more. We will keep you updated.

All the best,
Iestyn, Linda and Tryggvi

Contact: i.barr@xxxxxxxxx â?? linda.sobolewski@xxxxxx â??
t.unnsteinsson.23@xxxxxxxxxx