Krafla Magma Testbed meeting. Munich 10-12 April

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Yan Lavallée <yan.lavallee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Geo-colleagues,

Over the last years I (or colleagues) have spoken to many of you about
ongoing efforts to establish the first international magma observatory: the
Krafla Magma Testbed (https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.kmt.is__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZRhwTbcxKOVK2Cw3qYMELQ2OEFdKWqZc_AQS5sC5pLqrurJOHkS-JXb02gD1bO-l93fQ-kGRRaeVvhNG$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.kmt.is/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eLp_h-oI5FbZAouPMF0-2VF7A_ggENTf7J7QSAE_1mrzObz3qhLWF2byHI6MqKUd89jFk0hR1wCuA5JD$>
).

In preparation for the resaerch activities associated with drilling which
we hope to initiate in the coming years, we are organising a meeting at the
LMU-Munich on 10-12 April 2024 (see below for more information and attached
poster) and we would be pleased to welcome you and your colleagues (please
share widely) to join this event, to present if your work (if related to
krafla volcano-geotherm system or if associated with superhot/near-magma
drilling or research) or simply to learn about this initiative to finds
ways to get involved.

Here is a little more information about the project, the meeting in Munich
and the opportunity this offers to everyone (in geosciences,
geoengineering, geography, social sciences, education, the industry and
more etc).

                            â?¦Please share it with members of your group and
beyond!!

*About KMT*

Imagine just how radically our models of magma, volcanoes and geothermal
systems would improve if we had the opportunity to safely sample,
instrument and manipulate magma via drilling?

Accessing magma represent the necessary next frontier in the exploration of
our planet.

This is what we wish to undertake at Krafla volcano, Northeast Iceland
(near Myvatn), which has been site of extensive studies following the
1975-1984 Krafla fire, and construction of a geothermal powerplant operated
by Landsvirkjun (the National power company of Iceland) since 1977.

The Krafla Magma Testbed aims to establish a world-class, international,
in-situ magma laboratory with access to the magma-rock-hydrothermal
boundary through wells, available for advanced studies and experiments. The
goals are multidimensional and require dedicated input from scientists and
engineers in the coming decades.

The infrastructure will include boreholes to access magma (and test new
materials at extreme conditions), a research centre, classroom(s), as well
as education and visitor centres. We are also looking to develop
accommodations to enable on-site residence.

KMT will offer an open platform for research on magmatism, geophysical
modelling, next-generation (magma) energy, hazard mitigation strategy, risk
perception, novel education methods, material science, engineering, etc

*About the KMT meeting in Munich*

We invite the academic community to a meeting in which we will introduce
the Krafla Magma Testbed vision.

The goal of this meeting is to present our plans to the community and
authorities, and to gather interested parties to share the latest knowledge
of the Krafla system so as to collectively discuss ideas to develop the
best possible science for the years to come.

The meeting will be held at the LMU-Munich (Theresienstrasse 41
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/maps/search/Munich*(Theresienstrasse*41?entry=gmail&source=g__;Kys!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eLp_h-oI5FbZAouPMF0-2VF7A_ggENTf7J7QSAE_1mrzObz3qhLWF2byHI6MqKUd89jFk0hR14ztKbF2$>;
rooms C123 and C112) on the 10-12 April 2024 (starting on Wednesday at 13h
and concluding on Friday at 13h; for those interested there will be lab
tour in the afternoon).

Wednesdayâ??s events will be attended by high-level authorities
(including Secretary
of the Minister of energy/climate from Iceland, Germany, Italy, and perhaps
USA), funding bodies (NERC, and hopefully DFG), start-up companies and
investors.  The program will include i) an introduction of the KMT project,
ii) a description of why a magma observatory is needed (for earth science
observation, improve magma model, improve volcanic hazard
monitoring/mitigation, and develop novel magma energy solutions), iii) a
introduction of the krafla volcanic/geothermal system, and development in
geoeducation.

On Thursday/Friday, the program will include mostly presentation of
research undertake at Krafla and work relevant to magma drilling or
development of KMT

You are most welcome to attend and present your work or simply to see what
is being done to decide how you may develop your research around KMT in the
future. Please share this event with colleagues or other interested parties
you may know (local/regional/national authorities, start-up company,
investors, philanthropists, etc) all are welcome!

More information can be found at:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://kmt.is/the-krafla-magma-testbed-symposium/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZRhwTbcxKOVK2Cw3qYMELQ2OEFdKWqZc_AQS5sC5pLqrurJOHkS-JXb02gD1bO-l93fQ-kGRRSkEHhXr$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://kmt.is/the-krafla-magma-testbed-symposium/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eLp_h-oI5FbZAouPMF0-2VF7A_ggENTf7J7QSAE_1mrzObz3qhLWF2byHI6MqKUd89jFk0hR14su8Z_g$>

If you have more questions, please contact our office at info@xxxxxx or
myself: yan.lavallee@xxxxxx

*Abstract submission deadline*: 7 February

*Registration* will open soon and will *close at the end of February*.

We anticipate a cost of ~120 Euro for the meeting (lunch and coffee breaks
will be provided).

Separately, there will be a conference dinner at the spectacular Ratskeller
(townhall) on Wednesday evening.

I deeply hope most of you and members of your group can join us and help
transform the future of Earth observations, natural hazard, sustainable
energy solution, and adaptability. This project likely has the potential to
impact most of us in academia and it will shape the career of generations
to come.

We very much look forward to seeing you there.

Yan Lavallée and the KMT team

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2