EGU 2024 Call for abstract - session GMPV 8.9 Dynamics and timescales in magmatic reservoirs, conduits and dikes

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Fabio Arzilli <fabio.arzilli@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit a contribution to our session *GMPV
8.9 Dynamics and timescales in magmatic reservoirs, conduits and
dikes**, *which
will be held at the next EGU meeting in Vienna, 14-19 April 2024. This
session aims to collect contributions investigating the dynamics of
magmatic processes by laboratory experiments, numerical models, and
analytical observations of natural samples, to further understand
pre-eruptive magma dynamics and the evolution of volcanic plumbing systems.

The abstract submission deadline is* Wednesday, 10 January 2024, 13:00
CET. *Guidelines for abstract submission can be found at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.egu24.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZSxpD9KDAs8wdJappXnh6vfzY9dqgVEiXq4Mlh7Ma2pxv22VtIhYwX8ZZbd2sAkCRtKf69kvPckRDg-R$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.egu24.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!aGtuSloUWr9jid5AjoHOMrXn9IzsFhZ0lehUtxaVS6mjnjbOuLnYd-DIAYqAFmXz6Kl6XvTL7XoRjOILcb_Juw90pQqK$>

We hope to see you in Vienna!

Kind regards,

Fabio Arzilli, Maurizio Petrelli, Mónica �greda López, Yishen
Zhang, Giuseppe La Spina

*Session abstract:*

Investigating the dynamics and timescales of magmatic processes is key to
understanding the storage, emplacement, ascent, mobility, and eruptibility
of magmas. This in turn provides insights to enable the characterisation of
volcanic hazards and to inform governmental agencies who develop mitigation
strategies. During the last few decades, our knowledge of volcanic systems
has significantly improved such that we now know that the eruptive activity
of volcanoes is governed by a combination of many different processes,
often following non-linear behaviour and acting on multiple timescales.
These processes include crystal dissolution, diffusive re-equilibration in
mushy magma reservoirs, volatile exsolution, crystal growth kinetics, and
rheological transitions during magma ascent within conduits and dikes. A
thorough understanding of the interplay between crystallisation kinetics,
magma mixing, decompression, degassing, and the related timescales is
fundamental to improving our knowledge of the evolution of volcanic
plumbing systems, triggering mechanisms, and eruptive style transitions.

In this session, we aim to bring together studies that investigate the
dynamics of magmatic processes by laboratory experiments, numerical models,
and analytical observations of natural samples. We welcome
multidisciplinary contributions from mineralogy, volcanology, petrology,
and geochemistry to further our understanding of pre-eruptive magma