EGU24 Call for abstracts - session GMPV 8.3 Transition in eruptive styles: experiments, modelling, and observations

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Giuseppe La Spina <giuseppe.laspina@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit a contribution to our session *GMPV
8.3 Transition in eruptive styles: experiments, modelling, and observations*
*, *which will be held at the next EGU meeting in Vienna, 14-19 April 2024.
This session aims to collect contributions investigating physical and
chemical processes of volcanic eruptions through laboratory experiments,
numerical and statistical modelling, and analytical/field observations,
preferentially with a focus on the transition in eruptive styles.

The abstract submission deadline is* Wednesday, 10 January 2024, 13:00
CET. *Guidelines for abstract submission can be found at
*https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.egu24.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bogqhTe0TPRPUPrYlcGnquYsCJwIC8-Iefsi3jAJ-BNvzi_4ZJ2D69LCHfgWCjp1nFiTmmcNEVR-OydY$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.egu24.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!aOMlPEkvjFkNo9Upq7MfCYDDnYPDdDaNGRBzXgAIiC1FJ6bCOSLjNNIwI4ZN7am70GZZDVKZwRt5irLYntrJIxwqUwc$>*

We hope to see you in Vienna!

Kind regards,

Giuseppe La Spina, Laura Spina, Jacopo Taddeucci, Barbara Bonechi, Társilo
Girona

*Session abstract:*

Volcanoes exhibit a wide range of eruptive styles, from relatively gentle
effusive eruptions generating lava flows to highly hazardous explosive
eruptions, in which very large volumes of fragmented magma and volcanic
gases are ejected. Effusive to explosive transitions, and multiple style
changes within, including shifts in activity vigour that frequently occurs
during the same eruption, often pose significant threats. The different
eruptive styles and the transitions among them are controlled by the
physical and chemical processes governing magma ascent and
magma-hydrothermal interactions, such as (but not limited to) magma
fragmentation, outgassing, rheological variations, and
equilibrium/disequilibrium processes (e.g., volatile exsolution and
crystallisation). These transitions drastically alter the impact of an
eruption and pose a real challenge to policymakers in charge of mitigating
the risks associated with volcanic eruptions.

We hereby invite contributions investigating physical and chemical
processes of volcanic eruptions, and aimed at studying the transition in
eruptive styles through laboratory experiments, numerical and statistical
modelling, and analytical/field observations. We particularly encourage
contributions from early-career scientists and studies that adopt
multidisciplinary and/or innovative approaches.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2