Workshop: Genesis and Dynamics of Large Calderas - Naples 2-5 May 2023

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Giuseppe De Natale <giuseppe.denatale@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

This is to remind you that, as already announced in the IAVCEI Newsletter
N.3 2022, the Workshop on Genesis and Dynamics of Large Calderas will be
held in Naples, from May 2nd to May 5th, 2023. The Workshop is co-sponsored
by IAVCEI, ICDP, ECORD-IODP, INGV, and CNR-ISMAR. You are all warmly
invited to participate. Please, send your application (and abstract, if you
plan to give a talk), also indicating if you are interested to participate
in the field excursion, before March 31st, to the Workshop Secretariat:

Patricia Sclafani
mail: patricia.sclafani@xxxxxx
phone: +39 328 86346579

Participation in the Workshop is free, but we have an attendance limit for
the conference room set to 100 people.
I am attaching the Workshop announcement flyer, with all the main info.

Best Wishes and see you in Naples!

Aims and scope:
The Workshop is aimed at bringing together researchers of the volcanological
 community to discuss open scientific questions related to the origin,
evolution
and activity of large calderas. It will focus, in particular, on discussing
the outcomes and results of recent

research activities on the Campi Flegrei caldera, Italy, in relation to the
large Campanian Plain ignimbritic eruptions that occurred in the last 300
ka, including the Campanian

Ignimbrite (40 ka) - the largest eruptive event ever recorded in Europe.
Understanding the origin, evolution, and dynamics of Campi Flegrei caldera,
currently in unrest and one of the best-monitored volcanic systems in the
world, can improve our broad understanding of the mechanisms of caldera
formation and eruption worldwide and, thus, improve our capabilities to
mitigate related hazards.  We invite presentations focused on any
innovative research and results on large volcanic calderas worldwide,
particularly on Campi Flegrei caldera and Campanian Plain Ignimbrites. The
workshop will also provide an opportunity to discuss and plan future
drilling research projects at Campi Flegrei caldera and the Campanian
Plain, that can be jointly implemented by the International Ocean Discovery
Program (IODP) and the International Continental Scientific Drilling
Program (ICDP) (i.e. Land-2-Sea proposals).

Finally, the Workshop will be complemented by a one-day field excursion in
and around the Campi Flegrei caldera.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3