EGU session ITS2.4/GMPV7.1: Physics of mushy regions: partially solidified systems from various perspectives

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Catherine Annen <annen@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to EGU session:

ITS2.4/GMPV7.1 Physics of mushy regions: partially solidified systems from
various perspectives

Mush has been the focus of a lot of exciting research these last years. It
is of great interest not only in volcanology and petrology but also in
several other fields like sea-ice or inner-outer core boundary studies.
With this session, we hope that the different disciplines could benefit
from the knowledge acquired by the others.

Session description:

The aim of this session is to provide a transdisciplinary forum for people
interested in the behavior of mushy regions in various contexts like
volcanology, sea ice, Earth's-core dynamics, icy moons, or general fluid
mechanics. Mushy regions are multiphase regions where melt and solid
coexist. They appear on various scales in many situations in Nature.
Typical examples on Earth include the porous sea-ice, migmatites, partially
solidified magma chambers, or the boundary between the inner and outer
cores. Recently, the modelling of mushy-region dynamics has attracted
attention also in the studies of icy moons like Europa and Enceladus.

With this session, our objective is to combine knowledge acquired in
different disciplines to improve our general understanding of the evolution
of mushy regions and of processes like thermal and compositional
convection, segregation of components, and phase changes. We invite
presentations from various fields including but not limited to geology,
geophysics, and material science, and we welcome contributions from a
diversity of approach like field

observations (including magmatic petrology, geochronology, structural and
metamorphic geology), laboratory experiments, analytical studies, and
numerical modelling.

Convener: Juraj Kyselica; Co-conveners: Catherine Annen, Pavlina Hasalová,
Radoslav Hurtiš

*Deadline for abstract submissions: 10 January 2023*

Hoping to see many of you in Spring in Vienna.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4