Course on Volcanic Seismology

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: ZOBIN PEREMANOVA VYACHESLAV MOISSEEVITCH <vzobin@xxxxxxx>

Dear All,

I´d like to propose a course on Volcanic Seismology, consisting of 15-20
lectures and seminars, which can be given in 2023 for Scientific Centers
and Universities. This course is based on my book â??Introduction to Volcanic
Seismologyâ??, which was published by Elsevier in 2003, 2012 and 2017. I had
already given this course (in English and Spanish) for the universities and
scientific centers in Argentina, China, Czech Republic, India, México,
Saudi Arabia, and the United States. I am ready to give this course as a
Visiting Professor for three-four weeks with a special accent on the
specific volcanic activity of your region. I am retired now, so I can visit
you at any convenient time.

Now about the specific features of my course. The third edition of my book
â??Introduction to Volcanic Seismologyâ?? (2017, 559 p), which is a basic for
my course, consists of 20 chapters and begins with an introduction to the
history and topic of volcanic seismology, discussing the theoretical and
experimental models that were developed for the study of the origin of
volcanic earthquakes. The next part of the book is devoted to the study of
volcano-tectonic earthquakes. Four chapters give the theoretical basis for
the occurrence of volcano-tectonic earthquakes and their swarms and
describe the case stories of volcano-tectonic activity associated with the
eruptions at basaltic, andesitic, and dacitic volcanoes. There were
selected 40 cases of volcanic eruptions (or episodes) at 20 volcanoes that
occurred all over the world from 1910 to 2005. Chapters 8 to 10 describe
the general regularities of volcano-tectonic earthquake swarms, their
participation in the eruptive process, their source properties, and the
hazard of strong volcano-tectonic earthquakes.

Seven chapters form a part of the book devoted to the description of
eruption earthquakes. Here is given the theoretical basis for the
occurrence of eruption earthquakes together with the description of
volcanic tremor, the seismic signals associated with pyroclastic flows,
rockfalls and lahars, and volcanic explosions, long-period and very-long
period seismic signals at volcanoes, micro-earthquake swarms, and acoustic
events. The relationship between these seismic signals and the eruptive
process is discussed.

The last three chapters discuss the mitigation of volcanic hazard and
include the methodology of seismic monitoring of volcanic activity, the
examples of forecasting of volcanic eruptions by seismic methods, the
description of seismic activity in the regions of dormant volcanoes and the
seismic activity at hydrothermal systems in volcanic environments.

So please, if any volcanological centers or universities are interested in
my course I will be glad to give it during 2023. My email address is
vzobin@xxxxxxx

Best regards,

Prof. Vyacheslav Zobin
Centro Universitario de Estudios Vulcanológicos, Universidad de Colima,
Colima, México

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1