IAVCEI 2023 session: Grand challenges in understanding large silicic magmatic systems

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: "Troch, Juliana" <TrochJ@xxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

The IAVCEI Scientific Assembly is being held in Rotorua, New Zealand, from
Jan 30 - Feb 3, 2023. The abstract deadline is approaching fast (Sep 2nd),
so we would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session focused
on silicic magmatism:

*Grand challenges in understanding large silicic magmatic systems*

Igneous processes on Earth produce large amounts of highly evolved,
low-density magmas that form stable continents, feed ore deposits, and lead
to supereruptions. Better understanding processes that lead to the
generation and accumulation of such large silicic magma bodies remains one
of the grand challenges of the earth sciences, and requires a
multidisciplinary approach that integrates field work, geochemistry,
geochronology, experimental petrology, geophysics, and numerical modelling
on both volcanic and plutonic lithologies. With this session, we aim to
gather researchers from all those different branches of our science, and
provide a forum to discuss present ideas and plan the future in our pursuit
to decipher processes that are controlling large silicic magmatic systems.

Topics include but are not restricted to:

   - Physical properties of multi-phase magmas
   - The configuration of magma storage and plumbing systems in space and
   time
   - The plutonic-volcanic connection
   - Cycle of activity at calderas, and recurrence intervals between
   eruptions
   - The influence on magma chambers and conduit processes on eruptive
   styles
   - Deformation mechanisms in magmas and host rocks during emplacement and
   eruption
   - Thermal evolution of magma reservoirs and the interaction with crustal
   lithologies

We would like to solicit in particular interdisciplinary studies
investigating the chemical and physical evolution of magmatic systems by
integrating of experimental- and/or modelling results with field- and/or
analytical data.
Link to the website:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/scientific-symposia__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!fAP6ZXr2TjagJHlaigQxg2RteYnXaiGHHTMyKgdbMi8pSVklgh-auuJ-1vh72-tFwiGyYRAJl7RcD_N6$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Furldefense.com*2Fv3*2F__https*3A*2F*2Fconfer.eventsair.com*2Fiavcei2022*2Fscientific-sessions__*3B!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!e28iB-UuuqTca_9NsCZFigHJ_BBiIF6PC4pfDFvrSXbuUXhpfYrQts0g9iMDoH7iYoY65nauEYNyqY5repQ*24&data=05*7C01*7CTrochJ*40SI.EDU*7C526e3b42ab1f4efdae4a08da7b11299a*7C989b5e2a14e44efe93b78cdd5fc5d11c*7C0*7C0*7C637957610900131309*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C3000*7C*7C*7C&sdata=n3z4v8NTkIBxXOQBKFaez8*2FpwVSpSI*2FvCZC6CscoX4w*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUl!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!fD8-C0sVKOfKj6AgxLrolB1hdIBn78BJw9wps_VmBE4On-NYGW0QCQRahpNYXRS-wUs1PXdsEb9-SPEEiQ$>

We are looking forward to see many of you in Aotearoa!

Many thanks,
Juliana Troch, Olivier Bachmann, Chris Huber, Nobuo Geshi, and Chad Deering

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5